- Liver has 100 grams of glycogen (fuel for brain, circulating glucose and exercise)
- Muscle has 500 grams of glycogen (fuel for 2000 calories of work)
- There is 25 grams of glucose in the bloodstream
- You will bonk if you cross 2000-2500 calories without eating carbs. (That is around 4 hours of cycling.)
- Glycogen stores in muscles are restored at a very slow rate of 2% per hour so it will require several days after exercise to replenish it. However, after exercise the muscles can replenish at a much faster rate. Thus carb loading immediately within the first half and one hour of exercise will replenish much glycogen.
- 500 grams of carbs during the rest of the day will ensure that the muscle stores are replenished to 80-85% levels within 22 hours. This is an essential point if we have to do century rides each day.
Carb loading for the Ride 4 Peace
- Ride hard 3 days before ride for peace. Then eat 2000 grams of carbs. You will be fully loaded for the ride when it starts.